Many men and women in Elizabethtown are aware that they could develop cavities if they do not practice proper oral hygiene. But what many people don’t realize is that their risk of gum disease is just as great.
While gum disease may not be on your radar, you can know it’s on ours. Our doctors at Clagett Dental are equipped with the knowledge necessary to diagnose gum disease and provide gum disease treatment that works so your smile and oral health can be restored!
But because patient education is very important to our doctors, we’re providing 3 tips for how you can prevent gum disease in the first place, so keep reading!
What is Gum Disease?
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is caused when the bacteria in plaque builds up between the gumline and teeth. As this buildup occurs, infection can set in, causing the gums to become inflamed. Unfortunately, gum disease is often left untreated until it has reached an advanced stage. And when gum disease treatment isn’t implemented early on, patients can experience gum recession, bone loss, and even tooth loss.
When you visit Clagett Dental in Elizabethtown, our doctors check for gum disease at every cleaning and appointment. This ensures that if a patient presents with this condition, our doctors will be able to quickly perform effective gum disease treatment.
How to Prevent Gum Disease
Before you’re in a position where you will need gum disease treatment, we want to arm you with a few things you can do to prevent the disease from ever occurring, including:
• Practice good oral hygiene daily
Elizabethtown men and women should be sure to brush their teeth twice a day, floss once a day, and use antibacterial mouthwash once a day to remove stubborn particles from the teeth.
• Don’t smoke or use other tobacco products
Not only are smoking and other tobacco uses bad for your overall health and well being their use can also increase your risk of developing gum disease. Additionally, tobacco lowers your body’s ability to fight off infection, so if you do end up with gum disease, your body will have a harder time healing.
• Visit a periodontist
Visiting a periodontist for regular exams will ensure any signs of gum disease are caught early. Our doctors at Clagett Dental are trained to know exactly how to spot this condition and implement the proper type of gum disease treatment to address your specific symptoms.
Gum Disease Treatment
If you find yourself in need of gum disease treatment, rest assured that you will be in good hands with our doctors. Gum disease treatment involves stopping the spread of the infection at its source.
There are several options Elizabethtown patients have when it comes to gum disease treatment:
- Plaque and tartar removal – this happens at a standard dental cleaning with our doctors and is used to protect the gums from developing advanced gum disease.
- Scaling and root planing – this treatment goes a bit further than a standard cleaning and provides patients with a deeper clean. Our doctors will gently reach under the gum line to scrape away plaque and smooth out rough any spots they find on the tooth root.
- Flap surgery/pocket reduction surgery – this gum disease treatment is used for more serious cases. To perform this procedure, our doctors carefully lift the gums and clean out the area underneath, and then reposition the gums to eliminate pockets between the teeth.
- Bone or tissue grafts – these can be used to rebuild areas of the mouth that have been damaged by decay after severe gum disease.
Visit Our Doctors at Clagett Dental in Elizabethtown if You Suspect You Have Gum Disease
If you feel you’re having symptoms of gum disease, don’t wait to call our doctors at Clagett Dental so they can implement treatment as soon as possible like they did with these patients in our video testimonials.
Contact our office today to book your initial consultation by calling at (270) 769-3306.