When a patient is missing a tooth, dental implants are an easy way to fill in this gap with a brand-new, functional tooth. Because of the way they are placed in the mouth, dental implants are the closest thing to a replacement tooth currently available on the market. Our doctors at Clagett Dental have years of experience placing dental implants for patients in the Elizabethtown area, so patients can confidently place their trust in us for their tooth replacement needs.
How Dental Implants Work
Though they might sound complicated, dental implants are actually quite simple. Our doctors simply insert a small titanium screw into the jawbone. This screw acts as a replacement tooth root, and once it bonds with the jaw, a replacement crown or bridge can be attached with no issues. The new teeth will look natural and have all the same functionality as the original teeth, meaning patients can bite, talk, and smile just like they used to.
Of course, each patient is different, which is why our doctors provide a thorough consultation at our Elizabethtown office before performing any procedure. Patients can rest assured they’ll be in good hands thanks to a personalized plan of care created just for their specific needs.
Benefits of Dental Implants
When replacing one or more missing teeth, it’s important to choose an option that will provide lasting, natural-looking results. Luckily, dental implants do all that and more, which is why so many Elizabethtown patients opt for them over tooth-supported crowns, bridges, or dentures. There are a number of benefits specific to dental implants, including:
- No slip or fit issues. Once installed, dental implants are firmly in place and won’t loosen or slip out over time.
- Superior longevity. Other forms of tooth replacement might require replacing or repairs every few years, but dental implants are truly a lifetime solution for most patients.
- More cost efficiency. Because patients won’t have to replace a dental implant, they are far more affordable in the long run over crowns, bridges, or dentures.
- Preservation of the jawbone. When the jawbone doesn’t receive stimulation because a tooth is missing, it begins to deteriorate, eventually causing nearby teeth to potentially loosen, the gums to shrivel up, or the entire facial profile to look shrunken in or altered. Because dental implants sit in the bone, they provide stimulation to keep the jaw dense and stable.
- Preservation of surrounding teeth. With tooth-supported bridges and crowns, the teeth on either side of the gap must often be sanded down in order to accommodate the new tooth. Dental implants don’t harm existing teeth.
- Easy maintenance. Cleaning dental implants is just like caring for natural teeth, as they can be brushed and flossed. Dentures, on the other hand, must be removed from the mouth and soaked, leaving patients with an embarrassing gummy smile during the process.
What Is the Recovery From Dental Implants Like?
Because having dental implants placed does involve making an incision in the gums, patients may find their mouth is a bit sore after the procedure. This can usually be relieved with over-the-counter pain medication or an ice pack.
Otherwise, the recovery from dental implants is pretty minimal. Most patients can return to school or work the next day, though they may need to follow a soft or liquid foods diet while the incision heals.
Restore Your Smile With Dental Implants in Elizabethtown
There’s no reason you have to live with a gap in your smile. Contact our doctors today to learn more about how dental implants can change your life.
To schedule your initial consultation at our Elizabethtown office and see if dental implants are the right option for you, call us now at (270) 769-3306.